Saturday, October 16, 2004

A Godfather Reflects

Q. What do G.K. Chesterton, John Henry Cardinal Newman, and Surekha Gajria have in common?
A. As of today, they all are or were converts to the Catholic faith.
There are few things in life more beautiful and humbling than seeing the grace of conversion at work in the life of a friend. The road to faith is not an easy one, and "cradle Catholics" like myself take a lot for granted that perhaps we should not. Yet seeing the Faith through the eyes of a convert, and recognizing it as it were for the first time, we are granted a new and deeper understanding of its incomparable truth and beauty. Thank you, Surekha, for the long emails and late night conversations which changed my life as well as yours. And since you know by now that a Chesterton reference is obligatory on such an occasion, this one's for you:
After one moment when I bowed my head
And the whole world turned over and came upright,
And I came out where the old road shone white,
I walked the ways and heard what all men said,
Forests of tongues, like autumn leaves unshed,
Being not unlovable but strange and light;
Old riddles and new creeds, not in despite
But softly, as men smile about the dead.

The sages have a hundred maps to give
That trace their crawling cosmos like a tree,
They rattle reason out through many a sieve
That stores the sand and lets the gold go free:
And all these things are less than dust to me
Because my name is Lazarus and I live.

G.K. Chesterton, "The Convert"
Deo gratias.

5 Comments:

At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deo gratias first and foremost, for the grace of my conversion and reception into the Church this fall. It has been a painful road indeed to the Catholic faith, but I don't think I would want it any other way. And, so it seems, neither would God. Thank you Joe, for your eloquence in preaching the Gospel. Thank you for your perseverance in holding me to the truth at all costs. It took a lot of long emails and long nights with little sleep. Thank you for your faithful and inspiring example as a Catholic. I have a lot to live up to. Finally, thank you for your love, for caring enough about God and about me to bring us together. Here are some bits of wisdom from Saint Paul:

"I myself am convinced, my brothers, that you yourselves are full of goodness, complete in knowledge and competent to instruct one another. I have written you quite boldly on some points, as if to remind you of them again, because of the grace God gave me to be a minister of Christ Jesus to the Gentiles with the priestly duty of proclaiming the gospel of God, so that the Gentiles might become an offering acceptable to God, sanctified by the Holy Spirit. Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God. I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me in leading the Gentiles to obey God by what I have said and done - by the power of signs and miracles, through the power of the Spirit. So from Jerusalem all the way around to Illyricum, I have fully proclaimed the gospel of Christ. It has always been my ambition to preach the gospel where Christ was not known, so that I would not be building on someone else's foundation. Rather, as it is written: 'Those who were not told about him will see, and those who have not heard will understand.'" – Romans 15:14-21

“Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you? You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everybody. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts. Such confidence as this is ours through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant” – 2 Corinthians 3:1-6


God bless you always,

Surekha

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best

 

Post a Comment

<< Home