Thursday, April 21, 2005

Quid Novarum

You know it's going to be a good day when you've bought a Greek dictionary before breakfast. Just ordered a used copy of the "Little Liddell", figuring it's about time I stopped relying on the back-of-the-book vocab, particularly since we just started on a book that doesn't have any.

Other recent highlights of the past few days include Tuesday's organ recital, for which I played Telemann, Couperin, and Zachow. Beyond a few unfortunate mishaps in the last piece, such as not realizing that the swell box was closed until I started playing, and a subsequent near-train wreck as I tried to rectify the problem, my set went well. Three more students were slated to perform after me, but only two did, as the last was apparently unable to get out of lab- another reason why I don't take real science courses any more. In other organ news, I'm having a piece published in the Hartford Organ Book this summer, a publication of the Hartford AGO. It's a short little piece that I played for the Family Weekend service last Sunday- a bit awkwardly, since though not particularly difficult it does require a bit more hand-foot coordination than I currently possess. Didn't make any blatantly embarrasing mistakes, fortunately, or those in attendance might have thought that I wrote it that way, which would be even more embarrasing!

Tuesday night was the third and final room draw of my Williams Career. Jono and I picked into Prospect House, which is being renovated this summer and hopefully will be all new and shiny next year. The rooms will be small, but having lived in Mission for the last year, I doubt I'll mind. I've got a corner room facing south, which should mean plenty of sunlight and a nice view of the southern Taconics beyond the rooftops of urban Williamstown. The only drawback is that with the renovations, much like with Mission two years ago, it won't open until a couple of days after the other dorms, so if I have to be back here earlier, as I probably will, I'll have to camp out somewhere. Worst-case scenario is, of course, that the renovations will be delayed and a tent city will spring up on the Odd Quad lawn, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.

That's all I can think of for the moment, unless you want to hear about my trip to the Health Center to get vaccinated up for the choir tour to Bolivia this summer- ...No? Very well. I'll be off then to come up with some more interesting exploits with which to amuse you all. Until next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home