Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Magna est veritas

Our latest piece of investigative reporting, re: the Harvard cereal crisis, has earned the "Courageous Journalism Award" from Abbot Matthew Stark, who has also graciously offered the following Latin maxim for spiritual growth:
Tecum habita: noris quam sit tibi curta supellex.
Live in your own house and recognize how poorly it is furnished.
Persius, Satire IV.52
In other news, the Portsmouth Abbey Monthly Musings had this to say about last Thursday's concert given by yours truly and his minstrel friends:
The School community was happy to see Joseph McDonough ’03 (sic) don his velvet breeches once again and arrive back on campus with his merry group of Williams College Elizabethans. Joe and his group of eleven (sic) a capella vocalists delighted the audience with a repertoire of early English, French and Italian songs, one being the earliest known recorded song in history.
Velvet breeches, indeed. Though I am flattered by my description as being of the class of '03. I guess I hide my age well- that, or it's merely a symptom of the general disbelief that I can possibly be a junior already. But flattery seems to be the name of the game when it comes to the Elizabethans in general. Thoreau himself, in a prophetic vein, once wrote:
Some are dinning in our ears that we Americans, and moderns generally, are intellectual dwarfs compared with the ancients, or even the Elizabethan men. -Walden
It's always gratifying to have one's mental stature acknowledged by no less a personage than Thoreau. And yes, Elizabethan ladies, before you start posting nasty comments about my misogynistic tendencies, I'm sure he meant you too. Nevertheless, if I may take the precaution of diverting attention with a final vix sequitur, I'd just like to extend a belated welcome to whomever happened upon this humble weblog by googling The Elizabethans flight to Lourdes. I don't know who you are or what you were looking for, but I hope you found it. Meanwhile, I need to make some arrangements for next year's tour.

2 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

out of control, McDonough...it's like feminism never happened. endeavor to be what you were made (what was it, the "seven idiots"?)

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger Seosamh said...

oh, feminism has its place... I'm just trying to keep it there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home