Sunday, May 22, 2005

Sic Transit

Breaking of the hatches up and bursting of the holds,
Thronging of the thousands up that labour under sea
White for bliss and blind for sun and stunned for liberty.
(Chesterton, Lepanto)

And so the third and penultimate year of my college career draws to a close. The time of tribulation has past; exams are but a fading memory, and the three-month reign of peace and requiescence is at hand.

I remember being in elementary school and thinking about the seemingly interminable succession of school years standing between me and adulthood, the latter being (to my naive imagination) infinitely preferable to my present state insofar as it involved being able to set one's own bedtime.

Needless to say, I now find myself somewhat disillusioned... it seems so long ago now, although recent years have of course been flying by. No doubt the hectic college lifestyle is to blame. College didn't even enter into my understanding back then- the realization that four more years of formal education lay beyond twelfth grade would have been a crushing one to my young and impatient mind. Now, of course, these four years seem all too short- not because I fear their impending end per se, but because they're so short a time in which to do all that should be done. Ah well.... but enough, before I try to pass off these unoriginal sentiments as some sort of deep philosophical insight.

Tomorrow I'm off to Bolivia on the Choir tour, report to follow upon my return.
O fortes peioraque passi mecum saepe viri, nunc vino pellite curas; cras ingens iterabimus aequor!

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a huge ad quoting Chesterton in the last Record!

Emily

P.S. Where's the "report to follow," hmm?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home