Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Fragment of a Greek Tragedy

For anyone who's ever had to slog through the real thing, as I should be doing at the moment:

CHORUS: O suitably-attired-in-leather-boots
Head of a traveller, wherefore seeking whom
Whence by what way how purposed art thou come
To this well-nightingaled vicinity?
My object in inquiring is to know.
But if you happen to be deaf and dumb
And do not understand a word I say,
Then wave your hand, to signify as much.

The opening of "Fragment of a Greek Tragedy" by A.E. Housman, whose "Loveliest of Trees" has also been on my mind of late, it being the proper season for such sentiments, though I have sadly outgrown it as of last Thursday.

1 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we had "lovliest of trees" as an example in writing workshop training on Monday...

even if I can say "I am not yet one and twenty," I'm still not sure about this next birthday.

Emily

 

Post a Comment

<< Home