Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dies Natalis Mihi, or 5+5+5=21

In accordance with what I have been led to believe since childhood, or as Chesterton would say
    "Bowing down in blind credulity, as is my custom, before mere authority and the tradition of the elders, superstitiously swallowing a story I could not test at the time by experiment or private judgment,"
I am forced to conclude upon noticing today's date- the fifth day of the fifth month of the fifth year of the new millenium- that on this date, the anniversary of my birth I am now twenty-one years of age, with all the attendant rights and privileges thereof (however few of which I have any intentions of exercising in the immediate future). Birthdays have a habit of sneaking up on me- or maybe it's just that I'm at Williams where everything does- and I tend to be rather nonchalant about their observance, probably a holdover from my middle school days when divulging one's birthday meant certain humiliation at the hands of over-enthusiastic teachers. Far preferable was being woken this morning at 5:55 by the horn of the Birthday Honk-Honker high up Mt. Zorn:
    And the voice of the horn cries loud as it plays:
    "Wake up! For today is your Day of all Days!"
at which, I'm sorry to say, I merely rolled over and went back to sleep for another half hour, because I don't live in Katroo. At any rate, I anticipate a relatively quiet and uneventful day- sitting around pondering How did I get so old so soon?- but on the plus side, I am aware of no apocalyptic predictions centered on this date (though I must say that my sixteenth birthday was somewhat anticlimactic after all the hype of planetary alignment, polar shifts and worldwide catastrophe.) Be that as it may- now that I've quoted Chesterton, referenced Dr. Seuss and alluded to a conspiracy theory (and an outdated one at that!) attentive readers will conclude that we are rapidly nearing the end of this post. And I'm certainly not going to disappoint you, attentive readers. Nunc dimittis, then, until next time.

2 Comments:

At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not p-rofane, but p-hysics...okay, that doesn't work

I had a twin sister Marie,
Who went off at a speed close to c.
She came back one day
In a relative way,
And ended up younger than me.

from http://www.aps.org/apsnews/limericks/kdevicci.cfm

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=profane+limerick&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

 

Post a Comment

<< Home