Saturday, May 07, 2005

Should I be disturbed...

...that my 'blog is currently the #1 result on Google for profane limericks? I'm afraid that whoever stumbled upon it via such a search was disappointed... though they might take consolation in the "p-hysics" limerick posted by Emily in the comments of my previous entry.

Down to one week of classes remaining. Last night was the Choir concert, which went well despite being a bit longer than the audience (and, for that matter, the singers) might have liked- but it was a good program, featuring a variety of Mass settings (Machaut, Palestrina, Desprez, Martin) along with other pieces by Brahms, Poulenc, Whitacre, Barber and Ives, whose Psalm 90 was a satisfying conclusion complete with string ensemble and local church bells. And now remaineth Sunday's Chamber Choir concert at the Clark, the 'Bethans recording session, and the Choir tour, but the greatest of these is the Choir tour. Bolivia, here we come- though our ability to sing effectively at high altitudes has not yet been proven. Should be interesting...

Passing through Greylock later last night I was waylaid by Mel ("Joeey?") who persuaded me to pay a visit to the choir party which was currently in occupation of 4th floor Carter, much, I'm sure, to the dismay of any residents who had their hearts set on a good night's sleep. Even Brad made an appearance, and soon gathered a crowd (in various stages of inebriation) eager to discuss details of the concert, reminisce about (and in some cases, fabricate) past choir memories, and (inevitably) decry the proliferation of a cappella groups on campus. Singing along to techno (the system is down!) and drifting between this and a few side conversations (involving, among other things, my personal views on alcohol consumption, the relationship between morality and common sense, and the centrality of ethnicity to Jewish identity) I finally decided around 1:30 that it was past my bedtime (considering I was getting up at 6:30 for Mass) and headed home. Not a wasted time (pun not intended) by any means, though. I'm belatedly getting to know a fair number of choir people this year, now that I see some of them outside rehearsals (and not just at drunken parties) which is nice. Mel informed me at lunch a few days ago that I was her "Surprise Friend of the Year." (Kind of like being on the cover of TIME magazine?)

In other news, Hue will be back from her semester in Spain in a week or so, just in time to distract me from my final exams- but of course, if I really want to approach my exams honestly, I should refrain from any sort of studying beforehand, since they ought to measure how much I've really learned from my classes, not how much I can cram immediately before and forget immediately afterwards, right? Well... I suppose it also depends on whether I really believe solely in education for its own sake, or whether I secretly care about grades as well. But you'll just have to ponder that question on your own, because I'm certainly not giving it away...

2 Comments:

At 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a question: why were *you* searching for profane limericks?

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Seosamh said...

What makes you think *I* was searching for profane limericks? All I know is that someone- the "whoever" to whom I allude in my post- accessed my 'blog by googling those words (courtesy of SiteMeter).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home